Skip to content
Main Menu Search ASPIRE
Colorado Navigation

Education (Colorado)

Secondary education for students with disabilities Fast Fact library:

The Colorado Department of Education provide 1-2 page information sheets. The primary purpose of the Fast Facts are to provide users with concise information on a range of educational issues, from early childhood to adult learning. Fast Facts draw from various published sources and are updated as new data become available.

Colorado Department of Education- programs and services


Colorado Department of Education


This website provides information on programs and services for students with disabilitites.


Higher Education

First, think about what type of education you need to enter the career you want.

Career and Technical Training: Allows you to earn a certificate in the specific field you want to enter (ex. CNA training, auto mechanic certification)

Two or Four Year College: Offers an associates or bachelor’s degree, which enables you to work in your chosen career.

On- the- Job Training: This kind of training is provided for you by an employer. You learn while you work.

Apprenticeships: Apprenticeships are similar to on-the-job training but offer even more. Not only do you get paid while you learn, your employer covers the cost of additional classes that help you become a master in your field (called a journeyman).

Almost every college has services for people with disabilities. These services help “level the playing field” making what is taught accessible to all learners

 Helpful Hints:

High school and college are very different. The laws that protect students with disabilities change when you become and adult.

Find Disability Service Offices in your community:

College students with disabilities are required to meet the same academic expectations as any other student. However, how they access learning materials (books, videos, etc.) and demonstrate what they know may be different. For example, a student with a disability may use a scribe (writing assistant) or get extra time for test taking.

Accommodations you receive in high school may be different from those provided in college. It is recommended you set an appointment with the disability service office at the school you plan to attend during the summer before you begin your classes.

Site SettingsSettings