Skip to content
Main Menu Search ASPIRE
Utah Navigation

Supports for Long Term Needs / Medicaid Waivers (Utah)

Sometimes we need help to take care of our needs It’s important to have supports for long term needs. Long term needs are services we need to help with our disability.  They help us be more independent.  These include:

  • Living
  • Working
  • Behavior supports
  • Day services
  • Chore services
  • Financial management services
  • Transportation
  • Companion Services

Our families often help meet our needs.  Sometimes we need other support too.

Who can provide these supports?  Who can pay for them?

These supports can be provided in three ways:  Personal insurance, personal payment for services or through Medicaid.

Your own Insurance – Check with your health care policy.  Ask if these services can be provided.

You pay for supports – When your health insurance and Medicaid will not pay, you may pay for these supports out of your own pocket.

Medicaid – When eligible for Medicaid, and in need of these services, you may be eligible for the Waiver (1915(c) Home and Community Based Waivers).

More about Medicaid and the Waviers

Medicaid provides healthcare for people with disabilities, pregnant women, and others who have very low income.  Like other health insurance, Medicaid includes hospital care, doctor visits, medications, lab tests, etc.  If you need supports for long term care, you can apply for a Medicaid Waiver.

Medicaid Waiversare specific services that are added to usual Medicaid healthcare.  They help to meet the needs of a specific group of people, for example: people with brain injuries, people with physical disabilities, or people over age 65.  We have six Medicaid Waivers in Utah.  They are:

  • Waiver for Individuals Age 65 or Older
  • Acquired Brain Injury Waiver
  • Community Supports Waiver for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities or Other Related Conditions
  • Physical Disabilities Waiver
  • New Choices Waiver
  • Waiver for Technologically Dependent Children

Services provided in one of these waivers cannot be the same services provided by Medicaid healthcare. Learn about the Medicaid Waivers.

People may only participate in a waiver if they need the level of care provided in a hospital nursing facility (NF) or an intermediate care facility for people with developmental disabilities (ICF/MR).

The DSPD (Division of Services for People with Disabilities) directs most of the Waivers in Utah.  DSPD serves children and adults who have intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, brain injuries, and autism. 

Apply for a Medicaid Waiver

Contact DSPD at 1-877-568-0084 and ask for an Intake Worker.  The Intake Worker will work with you to decide if you are eligible for services.

You will be asked to provide information to show your disability is one that DSPD services.  This includes

  • Basic items such as name, phone number, address, etc.
  • Psychological evaluations
  • School evaluations
  • Other documentation about your disability

DSPD has 90 days to complete this intake. They will contact you with the decision.  If you are eligible, you will be put on the waiting list.  Everyone begins on the waiting list until funds are given by the state legislature.  With funding, services can begin.  People with the greatest needs are served first.

While you wait for full supports, you can get other limited services too.  You and your family can receive

  • Respite care
  • Service Brokering
  • Family skill classes

To find out if you may be eligible for services through the DSPD (Division of Services for People with Disabilities), call 1-877-568-0084 and ask for an Intake Worker. 

Site SettingsSettings